Cool - your option for the air transportation of temperature-sensitive goods.
- When it’s highly sensitive.
- Active temperature management.
- Passive temperature management.
- Temperature management for dangerous goods.
- IATA CEIV Pharmaceutical Seal and GDP Certificate.
When it’s highly sensitive.
Imagine: Insulin has to be transported to North America safely. Urgently needed vaccines must be flown to South America.
Or a shipment of temperature-sensitive semiconductors from Hyderabad is expected in Barcelona. In all these cases, you have to be sure your sensitive freight will arrive in top condition. And in each case, the solution is Cool by Lufthansa Cargo.
Cool ensures reliable shipping for the bioscience and health industries and the constant integrity of sensitive substances from airport to airport within set temperature ranges.
The service is available in three variants:
- Cool-Active for shipments in special cool containers.
- Cool-Passive for the transport of goods in special insulated packaging or products that can withstand minor temperature fluctuations during storage and transportation.
- Cool & Dangerous Goods for the transport of temperature-sensitive dangerous goods.
Our worldwide logistics network offers you flight connections to some 300 destinations in more than 100 countries. As a result, we can get your sensitive shipment to almost any destination.
Active temperature management.
Cool-Active is a special service from Lufthansa Cargo that supports the maintenance of an unbroken cool chain for temperature-sensitive goods throughout all the steps of air transportation, from their place of origin up to delivery at their destination.
Cool-Active offers you:
- A wide range of active cool containers and special handling processes supported by dedicated infrastructure and specially trained personnel.
- The Opticooler allows regulation of temperatures inside the containers by using compressors for cooling and electrical power for heating. With the following e-series container types, Opticooler and CSafe, the inside temperature is adjusted by compressors for cooling or by electric power for heating.
- A constant temperature inside containers throughout the entire journey.
- Cargo remains in containers throughout the entire transportation chain.
- Containers can be made available in many airports to allow a loading and unloading by the sender and receiver and to avoid temperature variations as much as possible.
- Containers are always handled according to special handling processes.
Cool-Active is the transport solution for all kinds of temperature-sensitive goods that need to be shipped in cool containers, such as pharmaceuticals, diagnostics, vaccines, sera, plasma, proteins, lab tests, biotechnological material, exclusive food (such as chilled food, seafood, diary products, convenience fruit) and any kind of temperature-sensitive high-tech equipment (such as semiconductors).
Passive temperature management.
Cool-Passive is a special service from Lufthansa Cargo that is designed to transport temperature-sensitive products in packaging solutions with passive temperature management features.
Cool-Passive offers you:
- Specialized, approved insulated packaging chosen by the customer prevents temperature changes on the inside for limited periods of time, despite varying external climate scenarios.
- Special processes backed up by dedicated infrastructure and specially trained personnel.
This ensures that cargo packaged with passive temperature management solutions is handled under conditions that will not compromise the ability of the packaging to safeguard the product within.
Cool-Passive is the service for temperature-sensitive pharmaceuticals, diagnostics, vaccines, sera, plasma, proteins, lab tests and biotechnological material as well as any temperature-sensitive high-tech goods.
Cool-Passive is offered at selected stations within the Lufthansa Cargo Network and on selected Austrian Airlines routes served exclusively by Lufthansa Cargo.
For information on conventional perishables, please refer to our Lufthansa Cargo Fresh service.
Effective sun protection for temperature-sensitive freight.
All Cool-Passive shipments are protected by a specially developed protective film. As a result, the company is providing a one-of-a-kind service in the airfreight industry for temperature-sensitive cargo. The service is used worldwide on all pallets with Cool-Passive shipments and is completely free of charge.
Best possible reliability with va-Q-tainer for passive temperature control.By using va-Q-tainer the Cool Passive service offers up to five days of constant temperature. These thermal containers operate within all possible conditions and enable temperature-controlled solutions for temperature ranges between -25°C and+25°C. Available in four sizes and up to two US pallets.
Temperature management for dangerous goods.
Cool & Dangerous Goods is a special service from Lufthansa Cargo for the transport of nearly all temperature-sensitive commodities classified as dangerous goods. This service is tailored to the needs of the life science and health care industries for reliable airport-to-airport transport.
Transport takes place within defined temperature limits and in strict compliance with the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations.
With its variants Cool-Active & Dangerous Goods, for air transportation in special cool containers, and Cool-Passive & Dangerous Goods, for air transportation of dangerous goods in special insulated packaging that prevents temperature changes for a limited period, orfor use when certain temperature fluctuations are tolerable, Cool offers a wide range of options for the transportation of almost any type of temperature-sensitive cargo classified as dangerous goods.
In October 2016 the IATA confirmed Lufthansa Cargo as a pioneer in quality services with the CEIV* Pharmaceutical Seal for its Lufthansa Cargo Cool Center at Frankfurt Airport as well as its worldwide processes.
The Airline Association IATA was the first to set worldwide industrial standards for the transport of pharmaceuticals with the CEIV Pharmaceutical Seal, thereby establishing a means of internationally accepted rules and norms for airlines, handling companies and shippers to abide by.
With the CEIV Pharmaceutical Certificate – which has been awarded to only a few airlines – Lufthansa Cargo has demonstrated its commitment to international guidelines for handling, storage and transport of temperature sensitive air freight, ensuring the highest transport quality throughout the process.
In 2014 the Lufthansa Cargo Cool Center in Frankfurt was presented the EU-Good Distribution Practice (GDP). And in 2017 for the third consecutive year, Lufthansa Cargo’s exceptional handling performance of Cool shipments was again confirmed with re-certification. These guidelines define high quality standards for the distribution of pharmaceuticals, including packaging and transport.
The Lufthansa Cargo Cool Center in Frankfurt was the first GDP-certified handling operation for pharmaceutical products of an airline located in Frankfurt.
*Center of Excellence for Independent Validators in Pharmaceutical Logistics
Minimal tarmac exposure times and storage in protected, temperature-controlled surroundings where available.
Shipments travel in temperature-controlled cargo compartments wherever possible, depending on the aircraft type.
Special containers with active temperature control (Cool-Active).
Uninterrupted recording of temperature data with the container types Opticooler, Unicooler, CSafe and e-series.
Documentation of the transportation chain and special proactive communication in the case of Cool-Active.
Effective sun protection by specially developed protective film. The film reduces solar-induced temperature increases by up to 20 degrees.
Cool - temperature control.
- Cool - temperature control.
- Containers with active temperature control.
- Unbroken data documentation.
- Temperature security through insulated packaging.
Freight that should fly with Cool.
Cool is the solution for all types of temperature sensitive cargo, whether at a constant temperature of -20°C or +30°C or within any other particular range:
- Pharmaceutical products, biotechnological material, diagnostics.
- Vaccines, serums, plasma, proteins, lab tests.
- Temperature-sensitive high-tech products such as semiconductors.
- Temperature-sensitive dangerous goods.
- High-value foods that require refrigeration.
Containers with active temperature control.
We offer you a full range of active heat and cool containers to meet almost every cargo-specific need for different temperature requirements featuring adjustable control of the temperature range inside the container from -20°C up to +30°C (-4°F/+86°F), depending on selected container type.
This type of containers uses dry ice concealed in a separate dry-ice tank as a cooling energy source. Thermostats and fans help maintain the required temperature ranges and ensure proper air circulation. As this container technology does not heat the air inside the freight compartment of the unit, exposure to temperatures near or below the set temperatures should be limited.
The Unicooler allows the container’s interior temperature to be heated or cooled using dry ice (concealed in separate dry ice bunker) with permanent air circulation as well as electrical heating provided by large rechargeable accumulators. Fact sheet Unicooler RAP (LD9), Fact sheet Unicooler RKN (LD3).
The Envirotainer t-series allows the container’s interior temperature to be heated or cooled using dry ice (concealed in separate dry ice tank) with permanent air circulation as well as electrical heating provided by non-rechargeable batteries. Fact sheet Envirotainer t2 RAP (LD9), Fact sheet Envirotainer t2 RKN (LD3).
The Opticooler allows regulation of interior temperatures by using compressors for cooling and electrical power for heating (no dry ice required). Fact sheet Opticooler – RAP (LD9), Fact sheet Opticooler RKN (LD3).
The Envirotainer e- series allows regulation of interior temperatures by using compressors for cooling and electrical power for heating (no dry ice required). Fact sheet Envirotainer e2 –RAP(LD9), Factsheet Envirotainer RKN e1 (LD3).
The CSafe regulates the container’s interior temperature, without using dry ice, by compressors for cooling or by using electrical power for heating. Fact sheet CSafe RKN (LD3).
Unbroken data documentation (for Opticooler and Unicooler as well as for Envirotainer e-Series).
The use of Opticooler and Unicooler containers allows you to constantly record operating parameters such as the start and stop of operation, power supply and charging times, interior temperature, alarms, ambient temperature, time and duration of temperature fluctuations, interior humidity, door movements, opening of doors during transportation and duration of openings.
In addition, our Opticooler fleet is now equipped with tracking technology that is unique worldwide. Thanks to GPS/GSM technology, it is possible to precisely determine the position of these containers down to a distance of 10 meters. Along with temperature, data such as jolts, humidity and vibrations are also measured and transmitted. As a result, the responsible employees at Lufthansa Cargo always have their eyes on the container and the valuable cargo in it. The technology is currently being used for internal process-optimization and quality-assurance purposes.
This constant and precise transparency is unique worldwide in the field of temperature-controlled air freight containers.
Of course: Simple booking and communication.
High quality transportation from origin to destination means maximum reliability with minimum complexity. We provide this as a matter of course.
- Book by fax or e-mail via the Lufthansa Cargo Center.
- Get the current status of your shipment around the clock by online Services with eTracking, or by Electronic Data Interchange/Traxon.
Specially developed va-Q-tainer prohibits temperature fluctuations for all passive temperature management.
With the high-performance va-Q-tainer, we implement a unique temperature consistent packaging solution for passive temperature management. The container is especially suited for temperature sensitive pharmaceuticals and biotechnology products. And the thermal packaging function under all conceivable conditions and enable temperature controlled solutions for three temperature ranges from -25°C to +25°C.
- Bookable directly via Lufthansa Cargo.
- Easy door-to-door delivery. The va-Q-tainer will be prepared and delivered based on your exact temperature specifications.
- The preferred temperature stays consistent up to 120 hours – without electricity, batteries or dry ice.
- Carrier leasing unit: more flexibility for the entire shipment .
The return of empty containers is possible at lots of Lufthansa Cargo Stations worldwide.
Possible product combinations Cool.
* More combinations of these special products may be available on request. Please contact your customer service representative for individual clarification.